It’s been a week since I posted anything here, mostly because I’ve been busy doings things like framing pictures, trying to catalog my photo collection and, of course, cleaning up my apartment.

The exclamation of “Huzzah!!!!” that forms the title of today’s post is a reference to my last post, when I wrote about the photo that I’ve had for ten years and had been kept in the darkness of the closet for all but a few hours of that time. Last week I tried to finally frame it but ended up breaking the glass for the frame.

Today, however, was another story. I am happy to report that after having it for ten years, that large print is now hanging on my wall – for the first time ever! Let’s hope it stays there for a while, though I may rotate it now and then with some other things, like the picture that had been on that spot on the wall until now – a watercolor painting of a couple of squirrels that I bought in China 19 years ago.

Today is Thanksgiving Day, and as I had no plans other than having dinner out with some neighbors, I decided to take care of framing and hanging that big print first thing after breakfast. I’d thought of taking it easy and just watching a video after dinner (I usually watch March of the Wooden Soldiers with Laurel and Hardy around Thanksgiving), but I’ve been in a mood to get things done lately so I decided to work on stuff instead.

First off was taking some steps to organize my negatives, so I went into the closet and took out about half a dozen negative page binders. I went through these and affixed labels to the side of each one indicating the numbers of the pages contained within and the contents and dates of those photos. (I had done this some years ago to my earlier binders, but typically, I never continued it.)


Then I put a number on each box in chronological order. This should help me to look up a particular negative or set of negatives when I want to find something, but it’s only just the beginning. I have more binders that need this work, but the final project will be to create a computer file detailing every subject and every model I’ve photographed, page by page. This way, if I want to look up my negatives of Paris or the model Rhowena from Scotland, the file will tell me which pages they’re on and in which binder I will find them. It’ll be a bit of work, but it will be worth it.

(Speaking of Rhowena, today’s photos are of her.)

Finally, I decided to put together some more picture frames and have now basically completed Phase 2 of my three phase picture framing program. Ten of the thirteen new frames are up and on the wall (not including the big one mentioned above), with just three 16 x 20 frames left. I’ll try to finish those off next week.

Unlike many people’s places of business, the day after Thanksgiving is not a holiday for my office, so I’ve got to get up early to go to work tomorrow. (If any reader has the day off, please enjoy it!) Given how much I did today, I think I will take it easy tomorrow night. After all, Stannee Dum and Ollie Dee and the other residents of Toyland await my viewing.

Leave a Reply