I made some more progress this weekend in catching up with my photographically-related list of “things to do.” The more time-consuming thing was done over several hours yesterday morning and afternoon, when I finally finished filing away and annotating the film from my trip to Vietnam and Laos two years ago.

By lunch time I had taken care of a fair amount but still had six rolls left. I’d thought of ending it there and watching a video after lunch, but ultimately I decided to finish off filing the film to feel like I really accomplished something substantial.

The other thing I took care of was to finally order a new scanner. My choice: the Epson V500. Hopefully I’ll get it by next weekend. It’s a newer model than the one I have now, using an LED light source rather than a lamp, which is supposed to get things done more quickly. I was considering one by Canon, but I like Epson’s dust removal technology, which makes a big difference in keeping scans looking clean.

Canon may have something similar, but I didn’t want to take a chance. Another reason for sticking with Epson is that the retailer I ordered it from was the only one on my list that offered a three-year extended warranty (something I wanted given the problems I’ve had with scanners) and they don’t seem to stock the Canon.

Those are the two pluses. Now the minus: I took my camera bag to a couple of shoemakers on Saturday and neither one said it could be repaired. (I had thought that fixing the shoulder strap was the hard part, but I solved that problem last week.) The second shoemaker thought it could be fixed, but when he took it to the seamstress/tailor (some major tears need to be stitched up), she looked it over and said it can’t be done – apparently because it can’t fit onto her sewing machine.

So, after thinking that the bag could realistically be put back into working order, it now looks like it may not. Someone I work with can recommend another place where she’d gotten a bag repaired, and if that one can’t do it, I guess I’ll just have to bite the bullet and buy a new bag which is just not as good as the one I have now (if it could be fixed).


********************************************************************

As I’m currently only able to scan prints and not film, I thought I’d go back 28 years and scan some prints from my first intercontinental trip. I posted a photo of the Tower of London in one of my earliest blog postings, so here are some more from that trip, representing the four countries I visited: the Western Wall in Jerusalem, Israel (top); the Clock Tower of Parliament in London, England; a temple dedicated to the goddess Athena at Delphi, Greece; and an ancient obelisk in Luxor, Egypt. Hopefully, with the order of the new scanner, I’ll be able to scan film again soon.
*********************************************************************

Finally, after I finished working on my negatives yesterday, I did what about 98 million other Americans did: I watched the Super Bowl. I can’t remember the last time I watched the Super Bowl in its entirety, but yesterday I watched every play, rooting for my team – the underdog New York Giants. (Of course, this is the one time that I really watch the commercials, too!) The Giants were not expected to defeat the heavily favored and unbeaten New England Patriots, but defeat them they did. (In fact, the Giants were not expected to win any of their playoff games.) This game has got to go down as one of the biggest upsets ever in sports history.

Actually, the Giants win did two good things for me as a fan. I’m also a fan of the Miami Dolphins, so the Giants win stopped the Patriots from having an undefeated season – leaving the 1972 Dolphins as the only recent team to go through a season and the playoffs without a loss. Oddly enough, despite being undefeated, that Dolphins team was also the underdog in the Super Bowl against the favored Washington Redskins.

I can still remember watching that Super Bowl game – and how I thought I would have a heart attack when the Dolphins’ place-kicker, Garo Yepremian, decided to become a quarterback after one of his kicks was blocked and subsequently threw a ridiculous pass that was intercepted by Washington and ran back for a touchdown. (The things we put ourselves through in the name of entertainment…)

Leave a Reply