Today was one of those days when I had planned to get a lot of things done, including filing more of my negatives from Tibet, scanning a bunch of negatives, taking care of housework, finally writing another blog entry (it has been nearly a week since the last one), etc.

Sadly, I had to put most of that on hold. My uncle died yesterday morning and so I needed to attend the funeral today. As usual on such occasions, it’s said to have to see members of your family under such circumstances but at least you’re still happy to see them. It reminds me of what the secretary of my department at Yale used to say about the only times that the family gets together: for a match, a hatch or a dispatch. I hope the next time won’t be for a dispatch.

I’m also trying to get my own medical problems sorted out, and I’m going to have another test done tomorrow. Hopefully it will be the last one for quite some time.

On a positive note, I’m happy to report that I will be flying out to Colorado for the reception at the Artful Nude exhibit at the Center for Fine Art Photography in Fort Collins. The exhibit actually runs from July 11 to August 9, but the reception is on Friday evening, August 1. (I think the Center’s website will post the photos on display on its website at that time, so I’ll post the link when it’s up.)

It seems rather odd that the gallery night will be only about a week before the show closes, but I’ve been told that this is to have the reception coincide with the monthly art gallery walk in Fort Collins, which is on the first Friday of the month. That’s also the weekend that the juror, Kim Weston, will be teaching a workshop there.

I really wasn’t certain if I’d be going due to the expense of the best airline flights I’d found, but after doing some more searching, I found a much, much cheaper deal by flying out of LaGuardia Airport rather than my preferred airport, JFK. Unfortunately, the flight departs at 6:00 in the morning and I should get to Fort Collins (via Denver) around 10:00, I figure – or about five hours before my hotel room will be ready. Still, at least it should get me there in plenty of time to attend the reception that night!

Overall, then, I didn’t get to do most of what I’d planned to do today – but at least I got the blog entry written and posted.

The photo, for those who are wondering, is one of Alison, made on my trip to Scotland in 2004.

Leave a Reply