I thought I’d write a little more about my time at the Community Zoe gathering that took place last week in Twentynine Palms, California. As I wrote last time, this an event – the seventh of its kind – where photographers and models who work in the art nude genre get together to meet other, hang out, talk photography, etc. A lot of people also go out (or stay in) to make photographs, too, so it’s a chance to create some new imagery, as well.

It’s hard to say which, for me, was more important – meeting friends old and new or going out to photograph more models. If I had to choose one, I’d go with the former. While it’s always good to go out and create, I already have a big backlog of film to develop, and there’s no substitute for having meaningful contact and relationships with other people – especially those with an interest in photography.

In addition to meeting people and taking photos, there were also some other events of note that took place. Most nights there were some computer slideshows put together by some of the Community Zoe members, highlighting their art nude photography. In general the quality was very good, with some of the images presented being quite stunning.

My slide show was on Wednesday night and was generally well received. These shows were presented outside on the grounds of the hotel where we stayed, and unfortunately, during the section of outdoor nudes presented to the music of Joaquin Rodrigo’s “Concierto de Aranjuez,” some music started blaring loudly from the pool/restaurant area. It pretty much overpowered the slow, beautiful music of Rodrigo – music that was essential to that part of the slideshow – but unfortunately there was nothing I could really do about it. Just my luck that that would have to happen at the time I needed it the least, but I just had to live with it and move on.

On the night before the first slideshow, I was one of the photographers who participated in what I called “Show and Tell”: a chance for people to show actual prints and to trade them for the works of others if one so desired. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to carry prints with me in my suitcase, but shortly before I went to bed the night prior to my departure, I decided to give it a go. It was very late so I didn’t put much thought into what I took. I just looked through my ‘B’ portfolio binder (‘A’ having my best work) and quickly took out about ten 11 x 14 inch prints that were not represented in my slideshow.

Despite the hurried selection of prints, people seemed to like them so bringing them along was justified. I even traded a couple of the prints for two beautiful platinum prints made by the Chicago-based photographer Ted Preuss.

As for models I worked with, last time I mentioned the first three that I photographed. The next three I worked with were Rebecca Lawrence from North Carolina, Stephanie Anne from New York and Jin from West Virginia. While I have developed some film which each of these models, I haven’t had the chance to scan any of them. So, today, I’m just posting a few more photos made with my pocket digital camera. (Jin is at the top, then Rebecca, then finally Stephanie among the cholla cacti.) Expect to see some of the film images here before too long.

Leave a Reply