I thought I’d take a quick break from the series of nudes that I made with my Holga in California last year. Today I’ll be writing briefly about what can happen when you throw a bunch of photographers together and they’re forced to stay together for a while.

The color photos here were made one evening during a weeklong workshop up on Canada’s beautiful Prince Edward Island back in 2006. If you’ve never been there, it’s worth a visit. The island used to be accessible only by ferry, but now there’s a bridge that connects it to the mainland province of New Brunswick. Of course, the bridge is a long one and it takes ten minutes to drive across it. Oh, and the toll (which is payable only in one direction) was $40.10 Canadian. It’s the only toll I can remember passing through where one can pay by credit card.

So, back to what I was getting at, these photos were taken one night when some of us got together and the liquid refreshment was flowing freely. Strange things indeed can happen under such circumstances. I myself am not a person who imbibes (I’ve tried it and I just don’t like it), but as the others were acting in something of a merry manner, I decided to join in too and let my hair down – quite literally!

Yes, I didn’t do it too often in public but I chose to let the long locks flow. To be honest, having that much hair did get in the way of things at times, so my hair is somewhat shorter now than it was then. For those of you who suspect that I may have just been wearing a wig, I can assure you that the mop seen on my head here was real, live, living, growing hair!

By the way, the fellow with the bulging eyes standing behind me in the top photo is a photographer named Sukumar. In keeping with my recent Holga theme, I’m posting a photo I made of Sukumar with my Holga that week. Also, this photo was the first photo I made of anyone with my newly bought (and very first) Holga. It was on the second frame of the first roll put through the camera, and as the first frame was an unintended shot of the ground, this portrait was the first intentional photo I made with the it.

Sukumar liked it, and so do I.

Leave a Reply