Reflection, 1995

Things are rolling along here in Figures of GraceLand pretty much as before, where preparing my new website for launch by the middle of next month is the top priority.

Today’s photo is one of those that I recently scanned from the negative during the process. It’s unusual for me in that it’s not a travel image and it’s not a nude, either. It was made, in reality, at a nude workshop way back in 1995, but I chose to do it not as a nude.

My title for the work, as you can see, is “Reflection.” The obvious reason is that the photo was made in a mirror – you can see more than one reflection of the model , in fact – but I’ve always thought that she had a rather reflective look on her face.

The blurry thing on the left, I’m pretty sure, is a portrait bust like the one of Beethoven reflected on the right, though photographed very close to the camera. It’s not a reflection, but is out of focus as the camera was focused not on it but on the reflection of the girl in the mirror. I had thought that it actually was the same bust as the one of Ludwig van, but I can’t seem to work out the spatial distribution of such things.

Leave a Reply