I found out a couple of weeks ago that one of my photos has received a Bronze Award (third place) in the upcoming Single Images competition issue of B&W magazine. The issue, B&W #80, should be available on newsstands and bookstores the first week of December.

According to the message I received from the magazine, 555 photographers entered a total of 3,395 photos in the competition. It said that 15 people received Bronze Awards (one for each category, I believe) so with the Gold and Silver awards, that’s 45 images getting awards – or about 1.3 percent of the total number entered. I’m happy.

The initial message didn’t say which image was selected, but after inquiring, I was told that it’s "Nude, Prince Edward Island, Canada, 2006,” which should be the photo at the top here – an in-camera double exposure of Rachel.

I’ll let people know when the issue is available.
*******************************************************************************

Today is Veteran’s Day here in the United States. As it happens, yesterday would have been my father’s 87th birthday if he were still with us. My dad fought in World War II as a paratrooper in the Army’s 82nd Airborne Division. He used to fly in gliders, which he told me were given the nickname “flying coffins.”

A number of years back he gave me one of his glider wing pins, which you can see here. I’m just upset that his Eisenhower jacket that used to hang in my closet when I lived with my parents somehow got lost when my folks moved out of New York. I can’t imagine him wanting to get rid of it, but I have no idea where it is now.

Anyway, I salute all of the veterans – from WWII and earlier to the most recent – plus those men and women still in uniform, for risking all to protect us all. Thank you.

Leave a Reply