So, it’s Thanksgiving Day today here in the United States. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! It’s hard to believe that the year is flying on by. Before we know it (and I mean it almost literally), it’s going to be time to cast our votes in the presidential primaries.

Thanksgiving has traditionally been a day to eat turkey. Why??? I have no idea. I don’t like turkey myself, and my belief is that the whole turkey thing is just a ploy by the American poultry industry to boost sales. There are plenty of other foods out there for people to enjoy, but no – for some daft reason, people must have turkey! One year I went to my aunt for Thanksgiving dinner and as I don’t eat turkey, I remember that she put down a plate in front of me with a knife and fork and an entire salami on it. Well, at least it wasn’t turkey.

Last night I watched the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special on TV. Peppermint Patty had invited herself and a couple of other kids over to Chuck's for Thanksgiving dinner, so in order to oblige them, Charlie Brown and Linus had Snoopy cook up a meal of buttered toast, popcorn and pretzels. Patty was upset about not getting turkey, but one of the other kids, Marcy, told her that being with friends and family is more important than what’s on the plate. Well said.

Having said that, I have to report that I’ve spent Thanksgiving alone here at home today because – well – I didn’t have any place to go and (unlike Peppermint Patty) I don’t believe in inviting myself over to other people’s dinners. Besides, they’d probably be serving turkey, so what’s the point? Still, I am thankful for many things – hey, I got hit by a car this year and lived to talk about it without too much serious injury – and any day that I can sleep late and not go into the office to my boring job is a reason to celebrate! (Unfortunately, I do have work tomorrow.)

Now, for the photograph at the top. I call this one “Bean and the Babe.” One of the things I look for when I’m traveling are interesting signs and the way that they are juxtaposed next to other signs. This particular photo was made ten years ago during a visit to Berlin. A poster advertising Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean was next to some smaller posters of supermodel Claudia Schiffer on a magazine cover. Not only that, Bean was striking a ‘sexy’ pose in his underwear – something we might expect Claudia to do. All in all, it was too good to pass up, so I made a photo of it.

I don’t know how much modeling Claudia is doing these days, but Rowan Atkinson is still around, as evidenced by the second photo that I made a few months ago when I was in the capital of China, Beijing.
P.S. Just watched a movie, so I'm gonna go have some pumpkin pie now!

Leave a Reply