Today’s posting is a follow-up to my blog entry before last. In that one, I posted some photos of model and artist Rachel in her studio at home. They were made after a very long drive to her home in Maine from Prince Edward Island, Canada in the summer of 2006. We were both very tired, but we carried on with doing some more photography the best we could.

After I made the photos of Rachel surrounded by some of her artwork, I decided to try to make some photos that integrated Rachel with her artwork. I chose to do this by using the multiple exposure capability of my camera to double expose Rachel with some of her own artistic creations.

The photo you are seeing here was done entirely in camera and was scanned straight from the negative with no manipulation other than appropriate cropping. Rachel, obviously, is the larger figure. I probably wanted to get in closer to the drawing so it would match Rachel in scale, but I don’t think my lens was able to focus that close, so this is what I had to settle for. (I guess I could have tried to match Rachel to the drawing, but I might have tried that and felt it didn’t work. I just don’t remember.)

Still, I like it, and I think the criss-crossing of the figures work well. (I don’t know what others will think.) I also like way Rachel’s figure appears double exposed onto the canvas backing of the drawing. It seems to give her real figure a bit of a drawn quality, so perhaps this is something I’ll explore for future photographic usage.

I’ll post more photos from this session soon.

Leave a Reply