I spent most of last weeking trying to adjust back to New York time following my recent return home form Japan. I’ve heard it said that one requires one day for each hour of change in time zones to return to normal, so as Japan is 13 hours ahead of New York, I’ve still got a few days left.

That, of course, is in addition to finding room where to put all of the stuff that I bought in Japan, most of which is still stacked up in a pile on the floor here. (Maybe this week.)

I was hoping to do some film developing this weekend. I think I’ve got about 30 rolls to do, dating back to my trip to Ohio in February. That didn’t happen. I woke up late yesterday and didn’t feel like doing much of anything, and that’s pretty much what I did, though I did pull myself together for several hours late in the afternoon, during which time I filed away the 13 rolls of film from Ohio that had been developed but not yet put into pages. (So, the day wasn’t a complete waste.)

All but part of the last roll were photos that I made of models Ophidian Marie and Revielle in my friend Dave Levingston’s new studio in Dayton. I scanned a couple of those photos today and I’m posting them here.

At the top is an image of Revielle from the very beginning of our session. She seems to have adopted the frequent pose of Harry Carey, the old time actor. (John Wayne used the same pose at the end of “The Searchers” as a tribute to Carey.)

Attired in black and white stripes is Ophidian Marie. It may look similar, but no, she is not wearing a tallis.
******************************************************************************
I watched a couple of movies on blu-ray this weekend. The first was “Speed,” the action film with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock. I’d been planning to watch it sometime soon, but I watched it this weekend as a tribute to Dennis Hopper, the actor who died recently and played the bad guy in the film. Some of you may not be aware of it, but Hopper was also a serious photographer and artist. You can read a story about him and his photography by clicking here.

Then last night I watched the Coen brothers’ film “Fargo.” I had never seen it before, and it was very well made, I thought, beginning with the great musical score by Carter Burwell. Most of the action takes place in Minnesota. One scene takes place in a restaurant, and the place where it was filmed looked a lot like some of the restaurants in Ohio that Dave L took me to in February. Is this what a generic Midwestern restaurant looks like?

Of course, I have never been to Minnesota itself, so maybe one day I’ll have to pay a visit to find out if people there really do talk like the folks in the movie – yaa???

Leave a Reply