Yes, people, I am still alive and kicking. My apologies once again for not having posted anything for awhile, but I’ve been busy. As I mentioned last time, I had trouble getting a new webcam to work. Well, I finally got it working – after spending time online with support from HP (not much help there) and about two hours on the phone with someone from Logitech (who actually did help me to get it working, although the Logitech drivers still cannot be installed and something is still wrong).

Then I spent time working on editing and submitting photos for another book project I’m part of. (I hope to give you more information about that in a few weeks, but for now, you can see one of the photos I submitted at the top.) Finally, I got to work matting a bunch of photos, including two which I’ll be donating to a benefit auction next month. (More on that later, too.)
*****************************************************************************

Now that the summer is over, the autumn fine arts season is into the swing of things. I decided to celebrate that – and what may have been the last day in New York to walk around without a jacket for some time – by going to visit some galleries in Manhattan. I ended up spending most of my time, though, at Sotheby’s auction house on the Upper East Side, where the preview exhibition for the upcoming photography auction is on display. As I like to tell people, these auction previews are great places to view great photography – and it’s free. I’m just sorry that I didn’t have time to see the previews at Christie’s in Rockefeller Center and at Philips over in Chelsea.

The main reason I went to Sotheby’s, though, was to see the preview exhibit of the items for the sale in the upcoming George Eastman House benefit auction. The Eastman House is one of the world’s great photography museums and a lot of wonderful photos are up for sale – and well as a number of books and Herb Ritts’ Mamiya RZ67 camera. The live auction of the more expensive works takes place tomorrow (Monday) night, but the more affordable works are being sold in an online auction ending Thursday.
If you’re interested, you can get more information here and here.

Here are some photos from the preview:
























Herb Ritts' Mamiya RZ 67 camera with 220 film back

*****************************************************************************

Finally, I thought I heard on the radio that Grand Central Station would be once again displaying huge, banner sized photographs in its main hallway this weekend. Some of you may remember these bright, huge, colorful photographs that were put up as advertisements by Kodak. If they were being put up on display again, I had to go see them, so I made sure I ended my day there. What a disappointment to find that not one banner photo was to be found, so I guess I heard incorrectly.

Still, Grand Central Station is Grand Central Station, and it is one of the great public spaces of New York – even without a huge banner photo hung up in it. So, I decided to take a few photos, all the same. Here's one.

Leave a Reply