I’ve been pretty busy lately trying to do various things and so haven’t posted anything for almost a week. I don’t want anybody to think that I’ve fallen by the wayside, so here is another photo for your viewing pleasure.

This is an image from my 1998 New Mexico Nude series. The location is a place with volcanic rock formations called Tent Rocks, which is about an hour’s drive (as I recall) southwest of Santa Fe. I had been to the location the previous year with a group from the Santa Fe Workshops and decided to go back on my own. The model in the photo is Kate, a girl who had modeled for the Joyce Tenneson workshop I attended in ’98. I decided to stay a few days extra to get in some work on my own and Kate had agreed to work with me.

The day we chose to go out to Tent Rocks felt like it was a hot as hell. This made it rather difficult, but the upside of this was that we only saw two other people for the several hours that we were there. Kate and I followed the trail which winds through high canyon walls to the top, where one can see (as you can in the photo here) the rock formations that Tent Rocks was named for.

I asked Kate to sit on a particular rock and lean back so as to have her figure mimic the shape of the formations in the background. I never force a model to do any pose which is too difficult or uncomfortable, but nonetheless Kate removed the wet bandana that was around her neck and placed it on the rock where she’d be sitting down.

I knew that the rock was hot, so I shot off a number of frames in quick order so Kate could get up off the rock. She did everything I asked for in fine form. After it was all done, I went over to the rock and actually placed my hand on it. That rock was sizzling!!! Had I known that it was that hot I may not have asked her to sit on it, but in the end I guess I’m glad I did as I rather like this image. Thanks, Kate!

Leave a Reply